Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Heroine Users

For anyone who actually lives in the DTES, you will know these signs well.
"HEROINE USERS"
This is a program that offers people free heroine in exchange for them pretty much to be guinea pigs. They are testing and comparing methadone and heroine, overdose limits, ramifications of mixing etc. Pretty much they are drug pushers looking to exploit addicts. Can you tell that I have a biased opinion?
These posters are the ones that have the phone numbers dangling at the bottom that you can tear off.
I have been tearing these down left, right and centre since I've been here.
I don't know if these people have caught on, but it seems like there is an explosion of them now. I was walking home from lunch at the Harbour Light, through the back alley to my hotel, and in that distance (roughly the distance of a block) I tore down 6 posters. When I got to my hotel, there was another one there, then I looked up and saw another one.
Grrrrrr! This makes me so mad. In a small way, I guess it shows me that they are trying hard because people must not be coming to them at the rate that they expected (probably because some little activist is tearing them all down :P).

This is such an interesting place to be. There is so much in my day that I absolutely love. I've been doing my rations/devotions at Re:Cre8 in the mornings, just so that I can say hi to that many faces and getting to know my neighbours more. I love the community here.
I do get incredibly upset and saddened by so much here though. I hate the feeling of helplesness. Last night I saw a man in a very dangerous place - about to have 'something' happen to him. He was being pinned to the wall by this big tough guy and looked completely terrified. I just kept praying and praying as I walked away, because I was all by myself.
I hear people getting hit and women screaming in my hotel. We try to call the police, who are pretty much in our hotel daily, but I never really feel reassured that they are safe.

So much to take in everyday. The tears are flowing now though. For anyone who read a couple of blogs ago. God is daily softening my heart, and my love for this community is growing strongly.

Please pray for the DTES and for all the people here. That we may be able to see the Kingdom of God at work here. That we would chose to see where the Holy Spirit is moving and join Him. Please pray that we would not be so neglectful as to ignore all the beauty that is here.
Blessings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home