Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Reading...

I really love to read books that I get to choose. As the end of my degree is in close proximity, and after reading numerous compulsory texts, I get a great deal of delight in personal selection.
This summer I haven't had heaps of time to read, but I have read a couple of books thus far: "Life Together" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller. I am currently reading "Moved with Compassion", which is a collection of stories of Canadian Christians living out God's love and Jean Jacques Rousseau's "The Social Contract" to give me my philosophy fix. I digress.

Searching for God Knows What = amazing. I used to read at least 2 books a month outside of school material, and I must say this is on my top 10, maybe even top 5 books of all time. I want to compile some of my fav quotes, so you'll have to wait a bit to hear some of the gems that are in this book. But if you are looking for a good read, something that will stretch you about Christianity being relational and not formulaic - hit this one up. Fa sho'.


Something that struck me a couple of weeks ago while we were doing prayer walks in Maple Ridge was that we, as the church, are like sheep dogs for God. I don't mean for that to sound demeaning in any way, but for me it was humbling and at the same time an incredible realization for my life. That we are called to go out into the world, into the dark places where the sheep may get lost, or caught in the ditches, thornbushes etc. and in a sense 'round them up' to take them to the Shepherd. Now, obviously Christianity is about relationships so this isn't an exact parallel, but just a fresh perspective (for me atleast) of how things are. I am not the great hero, I am a sheepdog. I must never forget that. It is true that God calls us to do great things in His name, but we must never forget our humanity.
This summer God has been revealing so many of my shortcomings and faults. The Refiner's fire is hot. No question. But I am happy to be a worker in His Kingdom.


We haven't seen a great deal of thing in Winnipeg yet, since Monday was a holiday. But we did get a bit of a "tour" as I mentioned last blog. I remember asking about the protistution in this city and what the Salvation Army ministry here is doing to help out. It's quite dangerous for the women/girls since their pimps will beat them if they are caught talking to non-customers, but the Army does incredible work to bring help to them.
The youngest prostitute (working under a pimp) that they have tried to help was nine years old. Think about that. A nine year old child, being sold, and under the 'supervision' of a ruthless pimp, stopping at nothing to exploit her and destroy her innoncence.
I think for the great majority (from my experience) of Western Christians think that things of this nature are far removed from our reach. They may choose to be ignorant, for such a reality is unbearable.

To remix quote from Batman Begins (with the beautiful Christian Bale) "What chance does [insert your city's name] have if the good people do nothing?"

He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.
-Luke 10:2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home