Wednesday, June 29, 2005

E. Hastings

I've been here in Vancouver, downtown east side for a couple of days now, and I have definately had some interesting experiences.
Just to share a few moments with you...
Yesterday was our first full on day. It was a day full of firsts for me. We were walking through the alleys just to offer to pray for people and saying hi, buying coffee etc. As we were walking I knew that i was going to see some shocking things. It was the first time that I saw people smoking crack. Many, many people were. I saw people shooting up heroin as we were walking by. I saw a 16 year old girl strung out and crying and being comforted by an infamous predator... so sad.
In the evening there was this Native woman who was screaming at one of our guys so loudly. Her nose was pressed against his as she was shouting for us to leave downtown. We went by the water just to see the "sights" and there were two other people with me. We heard some screaming and went to check things out. Long story short I had to run to get the police and there was a man who had been beaten in the head with a rock by someone stealing his rock (crack). It was quite gruesome.

So yeah. That's all pretty heavy stuff. But there have also been so many amazing experiences. I got to to pray for this woman who is hooked on crack. I asked to put my hand on her shoulder as I was praying for her and she grasped it so tightly. I gave her a big hug. Despite the fact that I saw her doing drugs a few more times that day, I know that the message of Christ is being spread through all the darkness. I am surprised by all the people who say 'God bless you' to us. That was a big first. Someone shooting heroin into their arm praying a blessing over you... it blows my mind.

I have lots more to write but still processing all of it as well. God is good and faithful. I have never seen such despairity, yet I have never seen such a beautiful act of spreading the love of Christ.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home