Monday, October 23, 2006

Ghetto Superstar

So I'm still living in the Downtown Eastside and parts of my life are still as ghetto as ever.
Within the last 10 hours two VERY ghetto things have occured, which hopefully will at least bring a smile to your face.
Last night as I was in the midst of some lovely dream I was awoken by something. (Rochelle, you are going to love this!) There was a mouse on my head! I sleep on my side, so it was just on my hair above my ears. So gross. Eeks. I didn't know what to do to scare it away. I moved quickly and it scampered down my bed and then in my mind what seemed to make the most sense was to punch the wall. Who knows if it was scared. I, on the other hand, was just super grossed out.
Incident no.2: So I started work at 5:30am this morning. All was going well until one of our regulars comes in. He's a homeless guy that tries to get money on the streets, but is always respectable when he comes in, so of course we serve him. Today he told me that he had decided to pay all in pennies (there was a big line-up behind him). I tried to regain all my patience, but then, to my dismay, he pulls out his "bag" of pennies. All of the 200 pennies were in a condom. No joke. So gross. I had to count it. It was definately interesting.

So I am a ghetto superstar. Woohoo.
Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Both of those stories had me cracking up big time.

love.
Jenn

11:37 a.m.  
Blogger Chris said...

I too have had the 'super grossed out' feeling of sharing a bed with mice. I'm a heavy enough sleeper that it didn't wake me up, but it did chew through a lot of my pillow and leave mouse droppings there as well. It's a very 'grossed out' feeling to think that a mouse was pooing in my hair while I slept! After setting a few traps and losing a lot of cheese and peanut butter, I eventually got my own back by sealing up ever hole in the house with gaffa tape and rat poison. To get back at me, the mouse had to eat itself to death. It was a couple of months at least till I had another mouse problem :P

3:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kirsten Catherine - I love you! That was hilarious! Praying for you daily. Love, A.Cathie

6:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LET ME GUESS... he bought a grande drip coffee? am i right or am i right? haha Kirsten you are amazing, most people couldn't handle living in situations like this but you are such a trooper! praying for ya all the time. I know God is smiling down on you.

1:56 p.m.  
Blogger Rochelle said...

OK, you're right, my reaction was: gross and gross! John tells me that there are rats everywhere on our compound, but I've never seen one. That's the power of prayer, my sister! :) love you, Rochelle xo (P.S. Hello from Rwanda!)

7:54 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home