Thursday, August 11, 2005

WINNIPEG -> East Toronto

We took our last flight and are here now in East Toronto. On the first day or so on a new location I seem to process through the week previous.
Each place we've been to has shown me new things and grown me in different ways.
WINNIPEG was the first time that I have really done extensive ministry with an aboriginal community. I had some cool conversations and listened to many stories.
On Friday nights the corps (church) feeds about 200 people, and both Friday nights I was able to chat with this man named Danny. He KILLED me at checkers. He asked me if he would ever see me again, so I told him that if he wanted to say goodbye he could come by on Sunday morning and I'd be leading the worship time.
He came just in time for the last two songs. He wasn't doing well. He had broken his probation and had to go to court the next day. When talking to the pastors, they said that he would probably be in jail for the next six months. I pray that Danny will find some peace. That God would come close and hold him tight.

We are now in East Toronto and our task is to get the church pumped up for a new vision. Most of the church is 60+ and the pastors want to outreach to the heaps of kids in the community. I am preaching this Sunday and am given the task of 'rallying up the troops'. Please pray that as I prepare I would listen to the Lord's leading and that the congregation would have open hearts to receive the Word.

P.S. Oh, and I am reading this new book "The Rebel Sell". Very interesting. It's pretty much an anti-counter cultural perspective. It's lead to some pretty heated debates :P
Me?...argue?...never! haha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home