Monday, August 22, 2005

Hard knock life

It's the hard-knock life for us
It's the hard-knock life for us

Steada treated,
We get tricked
Steada kisses,
We get kicked


This week I've been here in 614 Toronto. Most of the work our team has been doing this week has been working at a day camp for kids in Regent Park, run by the Salvation Army here at 614.

These kids have really put faces on the lyrics to this song. It is incredibly hard to work with these kids but it was an amazing experience.

One of these kids is a six year old boy that knows more about sex and violence and drugs than I did when I was a young teenager. We were taking the camp to the beack for the afternoon and I heard him yell out the window of a streetcar to a working girl "she ain't worth $10 for a blow job". This is a six year old...

There is so much need for role models. For mentors. For big brothers and big sisters. I can understand why heaps of people aren't running after the opportunity. It takes time, patience, leaving what is comfortable... it's not for the cowards.

I am a coward. All I can do is take it a day at a time in prayer. That God would give me the courage to live up to the life He is calling me for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home