Monday, October 10, 2005

Army History etc.

We had a class about army history and watched a documentary made in Australia I am pretty sure, give it up for the Aussie's - oy, oy, oy!) and it gave me a deep appreciation for the roots of this holiness movement called "The Salvation Army".
One thing that really struck me was when this army historian guy said that the Salvation Army never claimed to be "the church", but a part of the body of churches. The intent of the Army was for those who wanted to be activists. If you didn't want to be an activist they would have a great relationship with other churches that they could bless you (in all sincerity) and send you to go.
The heritage of the army is so hard core. I love it. There was no looking down on people if they didn't want to be a gung ho fighter on the frontlines, because they recognized everyone's needs in the body (if we were all hands, where would be the feet etc.)
Wouldn't that be amazing though? If the army was filled with people ready to be on the front lines, and fighting for social justice? Fighting to make right of past wrongs, fighting for those who are weeping, those who are oppressed, and the list goes on. An army of activists, oh man, that's intense. It would definately wake me up to see if I had what it takes to sign up for something like that.

I was talking to someone this weekend about being a soldier in the Salvation Army. For those of you who don't know, I am not a "soldier" and have never been. I never signed the pledge/covenant. I never really had anything big holding me back from being a soldier. I have always recognized the great import of what it means to sign your name to such a big commitment. Now, I am not talking about the big commitment to not drink or whatever. I do drink from time to time, but it's totally not something standing in my way.
Hearing many young people say that they got into uniform for the wrong reasons is something you hear ad nauseum. I think I have or had wrong reasons too, although they are probably different wrong reasons. I want to make sure that if I ever make the decision to be a soldier it would be because I am so passionate about the Army and my role in it that I couldn't NOT do it. I don't want to sign up just because I can, or because it's not a big deal. I want it to be a big deal. A HUGE deal. I think that's what's needed in the army.
Being a soldier, being an activist, these are and should always be extremely important decisions not to be taken lightly at all.
I commend all of you soldiers/activists in the church, whole-heartedly. It takes balls to man up to that.(Sorry mom, but I had to say it). Bless you indeed.
Peace and Love

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! For a Salvation Army filled once again with red-hot activist soldiers!

Thanks for sharing...what was the documentary called?

3:58 p.m.  
Blogger Andrew said...

Amen Sister!

I believe the documentary Kirsten was referring to Xander is the 1st 'A Cause to Die For' DVD available from www.salvosmedia.com

I think we have it in the Command Centre.

Another great product from the Aust. Eastern Territory.

Grace..

11:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home