Sunday, April 02, 2006

Child Labour

I was having a discussion, somewhat recently with a close friend of mine about the subject of child labour.
In the past few years I have avoided buying things from Gap and Nike because of their known affiliation with child labour, but I realized, as I was talking, that me boycotting these companies won’t actually bring about justice to this injustice. It is simply washing my hands clean of my own involvement. It’s pretty much relieving me of guilt.
I then got quite concerned (aka – started crying) about what I could do (if anything) to actually bring about justice in this area.
I was never naïve enough to believe that if everyone stopped supporting these sweat shops then they’d close down and the government would be filled with an altruistic nature and decide to educate these kids. I am not a fool.
Prayer is huge. Sometimes I think of it as a cop-out for action, or “real” work. God is changing my mind and heart about this. The night of this discussion, I was in bed reading my bible and praying and I was meditating on Psalm 12.
So prayer is key. I am still waiting on the Lord about what else I can ‘do’.
I have a wonderful sponsor child, and I know that I have been challenged to give more money towards education of children in the third world, as well. Any other ideas? Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Blogger Boris said...

Hey Kir... great to see/hear that you are well... it's been a while.

I've learnt that THE BEST thing to "DO" is pray. "We have not, for we ask not." To often, we want to DO something, but we end up moving out of God's plan. In areas like this (i.e. issues of justice), I am always wary of only doing exactly what God has asked me to do... if there is something beyond prayer, God will let me know... He is the one who brings about justice... He is the one that punishes the unrighteous... though, I know He will often use a person to do that... just be ready to do what God asks you to do, beyond the prayer.

That's my 2 cents!

8:19 a.m.  
Blogger Rochelle said...

Keep supporting education in developing countries (where there are schools and school fees, a lot of kids can go to school) and keep pressuring governments for good governance (e.g. supporting universal education). Most governments have promised it, but don't follow through. Kids (and families) need CHOICES!

5:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home