Thursday, November 25, 2004

this is going to get a bit political...

I heard a famous Canadian Ethicist speak on Tuesday about Ethics (obviously) and she said something that haunted my thoughts ever since, so I have to throw it out on the table...
In Canada, it is legal to have an abortion up until the day before the baby is to be delivered. Now clearly late in the third trimester there must be reasons given etc. But still, the fact that babies are being aborted, legally in our country and regularily in the second and even third trimester makes me sick to my stomach. I know that most people in churches keep quiet about this sort of thing, because they don't want to be associated in any way with those crazy people who have screamed at people going into abortion clinics and call them sinners etc. I definately agree that Christ would NEVER do that...but I do believe that we can be voices for those who can't speak up. I believe that we can have an impact on the country. I don't know much about changing laws, but I feel stirred up.
We as Canadians pride ourselves on being such a peaceful country. Yet, whether it be killing with machine guns, or under the knife...does it make a difference in the eyes of the Creator??? As a Canadian, I don't want to have to live with the blood on my hands for the sins of this land.
I realize that this is probably quite controversial to be posting so publicly for all to see. But how is it that so many Christians are so quiet about the issue. If we don't want to fall into the category of those "Crazy hating Christians" why don't we stand up, show them love, be Christians and take care, rather than walk by or ignore the issue.
Mother Terressa said once, when asked about the issue of abortion "Bring them to me, and I will take them."
Who will stand up and be so bold?
My mom told me once that the doctors advised her to abort her child when she was pregnant with Joel. I can't imagine my life without Joel. He's my older brother and he has taught me so much in life. I know that he has been an inspiration to so many. He is a leader. An artist. A passionate man of God. The world would have been at a great loss without him. Praise Jesus that my mom didn't take her doctor's advice. But it breaks my heart for all of those "Joels" that have been silenced from eternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home