Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Life worthy of the Gospel

So we are doing RAW right now (ready and willing) a social justice conference for youth that we run every year out of the War College and last night I was completely challenged by what was taught.
The guest speaker isn't a Salvation Army guy, but lives in a Christian Community in the DTES alongside us.
Two phrases that stuck out to me and jolted my system were:
"If you have more than you need you have what belongs to someone else".
We try to adhere to the "simplicity" lifestyle, but it always grips me when you think of the reality that people are actually starving to death, dying from curable diseases and it IS correlational to how we are living in the West.
The other (perhaps more controversial)was:
"When they come for the poor, if they don't have to step over your bloody broken body, a curse on you and your religion"...
I think that one sent our whole leadership team into tears.
Are we doing all we can to protect and defend those that are being abused, starved, discriminated against, violated, stolen from...fill in the blanks.
This IS uncomfortable. If reading all that Jesus wrote and instructed ISN'T making you uncomfortable, you are probably reading Him wrong.
It's a high calling. No doubt.
I humbly confess that I am horrible at this.
I like things. I like being with people that smell nice.
I like living in a nice, neat, comfortable world.
But that's not the life worthy of the gospel. As much as that may suck to hear for me or anyone.
Let the name of the Lord be praised.

Lord, we need your mercy, grace and strength.
Help us, please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home